Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Stomach tore open

A 31-year-old mother got a horrifying shock after a Caesarian section at St. Olav's Hospital in Trondheim.

Tone Lise Johannessen bore a daughter by Caesarian section at St. Olav's, and on Sunday a midwife removed the outer stitches from the operation, newspaper VG reports.

"When I got up, I felt my entire stomach tear. I got help from hospital staff and was put into a bed. Then I saw that my intestines and the contents of my abdomen had fallen out," Johannessen said.

According to VG, the thread used to sew up after the Caesarian has been under discussion at the hospital, and several doctors at St. Olav's have contacted management to try and have it replaced by a different type used earlier.

"When a new purchasing contract began, we said that there was some dissatisfaction from our surgeons. The maternity hospital made a request saying we wanted to use a different thread than the one chosen," maternity hospital leader Fredrik Sunde told VG.

Full Story: AFTENPOSTEN (Norway)

No comments: